Medical abortion allows an alternative to surgical abortion for women who are in the early stage gestation. Medication abortion uses a combination of safe abortion pills which includes Mifepristone and Misoprostol to terminate the pregnancy up to 9 weeks.
Medical abortion with an abortion pill is a less risky and non-invasive method to end an early-stage pregnancy. Around 2- 5 % of women who have done medical abortion say that abortion pills work very safely without causing any major side effects.
How safe do the Medical abortion procedure works?
Medical abortion involves using the drugs named Mifepristone and Misoprostol rather than surgery to terminate a pregnancy. It can be done as immediately as the pregnancy is seen in an ultrasound test. Many experts suggest medical abortion when the pregnancy up to 9 weeks of pregnancy.
A pregnancy requires high levels of progesterone hormone to proceed. Mifepristone works by obstructing the action of progesterone to stop the pregnancy from progressing. Similarly, Misoprostol leads the cervix to soften and thus the uterus to contract to enable the pregnancy to be expelled from the womb.
The procedure and number of appointments for having a medical abortion depend on the type of clinic and certain tests such as blood tests or ultrasound. Some clinics offer only necessary tests and medicines in a single appointment.
The method of having a medical abortion usually involves the following steps:
- You will have a medical check-up with a medical practitioner, which includes a clinical assessment of medical and other related information and arrangements for you to have a blood test or ultrasound test.
- You will be provided the information about the methods of abortion and you can decide whichever is best for you.
- If you choose medical abortion, you will be given all the important information and explained about pre and post-abortion care.
- You can discuss with your medical expert about pain relievers or any other tablet you may require and how to prepare for the abortion.
- If you have an intrauterine device installed then it should be removed before you take the abortion pills or else you will experience severe pelvic pain.
- You can take Mifepristone 200 mg either at the medical clinic or at home wherever you find it more comfortable.
- After 24 to 48 hours of taking Mifepristone, you have to take the Misoprostol pill. This softens the cervix and helps to push the pregnancy out. It is recommended to take the pill at your home and do not travel after taking the misoprostol pill as it causes severe contractions and bleeding.
- Abortion is generally completed within some hours as the pregnancy is passed out. However, the bleeding may stay for a longer period. So you are suggested to take rest for few days.
- After 2-3 weeks do an ultrasound test checkup to understand whether the pregnancy has ended completely and there is no pregnancy tissue left in your uterus.
This all will ensure you a safe abortion with abortion pills.