Mode of action:
Mifepristone and Misoprostol together bring about a complete abortion. The anti-progesterone primes the uterus and sensitizes the uterus to the actions of Misoprostol. This drug enhances uterine contractility and dilates the cervix. Increased contractions in the uterine lining force out the pregnancy contents. The relaxed cervix eases the expulsion of these through the vaginal opening. Misoprostol thus plays an important role in completing an abortion.
Misoprostol can be taken both orally and vaginally. The dosage is 800mcg (i.e. 4 pills of 200mcg each). When taken vaginally, the pills must be inserted in the vagina one after the other and each one must be pushed as further as possible. The oral administration is through placing 2 pills in both the cheek pouches and allowing them to dissolve for 30mins. Any excess remains can be swallowed with water.
If you chose to consume the pills through the oral route, please be informed that vaginal administration is known to have a higher efficiency.
The expected and inevitable symptoms of Misoprostol include heavy bleeding and excessive cramping
- Prolonged bleeding and cramping
- Mild fever
- Constipation/gas/other stomach problems
This medication cannot be recommended in the following cases
- You are over 10 weeks into gestation.
- You have been detected with an ectopic pregnancy.
- You are allergic to the active/inactive components of the drug
- You have chronic health conditions
- You excessively consume tobacco and/or alcohol
- You are under treatment for other diseases
- You are a breastfeeding woman
If any of the symptoms are unmanageable, it should be considered a matter of immediate medical concern.