Mode of action:
- Mifepristone: This is the pill that primes the uterus and prepares it for the action of the next pill in the regimen. The action of the pregnancy-sustaining hormone, progesterone, is suppressed and the thickened uterine lining is thus disrupted. Due to this action, the implanted embryo is also separated and pregnancy fails to develop.
- Misoprostol: This pill aids the expulsion of the pregnancy contents separated from the uterus through enhancing uterine contractility and dilation of the cervix
- Ondasetron/Zofran: Serotonin is a natural substance that may cause nausea or vomiting sensations. The action of this substance is blocked by Zofran.
- Flexon MR: Flexon MR is an anti-inflammatory pill and is thus able to control the abdominal pain cause due to the action of the abortion pills
- Ethamsylate: Ethamsylate is a hemostatic agent which means it is an effective medicine to control bleeding from small capillaries and vessels in the body. It can thus regulate heavy flows in the abortion phase.
- Mifepristone: On day 1, 200mg (1 pill) is taken orally with water.
- Misoprostol: 800mcg (4pills) is taken 24-48hrs after Mifepristone either orally or vaginally.
- Zofran: One pill must be taken orally when the individual feels nauseated
- Flexon MR: One pill must be taken orally when the individual feels abdominal pain
- Ethamsylate: One pill must be taken orally if the individual senses unmanageable bleeding
The expected symptoms from the abortion pill regimen are vaginal bleeding, abdominal cramping and a feeling of fatigue or nausea. These are the same symptoms that are relieved by the other pills in the abortion pill pack.
- Mifepristone: Diarrhea, constipation, body aches, fever (with or without chills), excessive and prolonged bleeding
- Misoprostol: The common side effects of Misoprostol are similar to that of Mifepristone
- Ondasetron/Zofran: May cause constipation, hiccups or rashes
- Flexon MR: May cause indigestion and drowsiness
- Ethamsylate: May cause fever in some cases
This is not a complete list. So, if you sense anything that you feel may be of immediate medical attention, kindly consult a medical practitioner.
You must not consume this medication if you are positive for any of the following
- You are over 10 weeks pregnant
- Your pregnancy is ectopic
- You have been detected with an allergy for any of the drug components or to similar drugs
- You have chronic health conditions like adrenal gland failure or heart issues
- You regularly consume tobacco and/or alcohol
- You are currently being treated for some other health condition
- You are a breastfeeding woman