Mode of action:
The two MTP kit pills work in synergy to bring about abortion. Mifepristone, the primary medication is an anti-progesterone that competitively inhibits the action of progesterone. The pregnancy-maintaining hormone thus fails to function. This causes a breakdown of the endometrial lining and the implanted blastocyst (that would have progressed to be a fetus) is separated. Mifepristone also sensitizes the uterus to contractions and softens the cervix
Misoprostol, the secondary medication works to enhance these functions. It further ripens the cervix and increases uterine contractility to facilitate the expulsion of pregnancy sections. This is when the abortion is complete.
The MTP kit comes with a complex regimen and it is crucial to ensure that you follow it
One tablet of mifepristone (200 mg) is to be taken orally on day one with water.
4 tablets of misoprostol (800mcg) should be taken within 24-48 hrs of mifepristone intake. The route of administration can be oral or vaginal.
When you buy MTP kit online, it comes with the exact number of the two pills required. Any dosing errors can lead to serious consequences. Consult an expert to know the exact dosage for your case.
Vaginal bleeding will result from the passage of the uterus lining. This will also be accompanied by cramps. Other common symptoms include nausea, vomiting, tiredness and diarrhea. But all of these are expected to subside in the post-abortion days.
The MTP kit is up to 98% effective when used at the right stage with proper protocols. But, very rarely some women experience serious side-effects.
- Bleeding and cramping may continue for longer than expected.
- One may experience fever (over 100.4-degree Fahrenheit) and chills.
- Fatigue caused by dehydration and mineral imbalance.
Different women see different responses to this medication. If you sense your symptoms to be signs of a physical complication, kindly consult a trained professional.
Kindly refer to the following before you take this medication
- Pregnancy should be intrauterine and not over 10 weeks (70 days).
- Any IUD inserted should be removed.
- You shouldn’t have conditions of the heart, liver, lungs or the adrenal gland.
- You shouldn’t be allergic to the components of either tablets.
- Consult an expert if you’ve had over 5 pregnancies or a cesarean surgery earlier.
- It is not advisable for women over 35 years of age.
- Stop intake of alcohol or nicotine