Abortion is a general experience. It’s expected that about 1 in every 5 pregnancies worldwide end their pregnancy in abortion. In some countries, 1 in 4 is unplanned pregnancies and about 2 in 6 ends in abortion. Most of the women will have an abortion by the age of 45.
Generally, there are 2 types of abortion one is medical abortion and the other is surgical abortion. Medical abortion is done with the help of abortion pills in the first 9 weeks of pregnancy after 9 weeks it is suggested to go for a surgical abortion to avoid complications.
It’s also important for a woman to know what to expect after pregnancy termination thus, we will learn on what to expect after taking a safe abortion pill.
How to take abortion pills?
If you have decided to have a medical abortion you will be given Mifepristone pill in the clinic and another pill that is Misoprostol pill at home.
The first pill is consumed orally and it operates by blocking the hormone- progesterone. An embryo necessitates progesterone to stay connected to the lining of the uterus and to develop it. After that, you have to take another medicine which is Misoprostol. You can take Misoprostol orally or vaginally. This medicine helps to expel the uterus and remove the pregnancy with the help of vaginal bleeding.
In some places, it is required to go for a follow-up appointment after 1-2 weeks of your abortion.
What happens after taking the pill?
After taking the pill you may observe some common side effects. The symptoms are mentioned below:
For the first few days:
- You may notice cramping and bleeding after taking the abortion pill.
- Bleeding may begin anytime between 1 hour to 24 hours after taking the pill. Some women report that it’s nerve-racking waiting for the bleeding to begin and they might think that the pills are not working. But there is nothing to worry and it is recommended to wait up to 24 hours. If you do not notice bleeding within 24 hours then you have to consult your medical practitioner immediately.
- Heavy bleeding with tissue and blood clots for a few hours- usually about 4-5 hours but it can be different from other women. Clots can be big, and bleeding can be more severe than normal bleeding.
- Heavy contractions for several hours. These can be very serious and can differ between strong and mild.
- Low chills and fever may stay for a few days after taking the misoprostol pill, (about 2 in 5 women experience this), some women also observe vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, and tiredness.
Symptoms: The next few weeks:
- Lower bleeding that is constant for 1-2 days. It becomes lighter over the following 1-2 weeks. Mild cramping that may go within 1-2 weeks.
- Spotting can stay until the next menstrual period. Some women may observe light bleeding and spot for 24 days.
- Changes in mood, energy levels, loss of appetite, and other pregnancy symptoms can come back to normal within some days.